Thursday, May 4, 2017

Las Vegas Library, Las Vegas, Nevada


I'd never intended to visit a library in Las Vegas, as it had only been a vague pass-through plan on my larger itinerary to travel from California to my next major stop, Colorado Springs. Frankly, what I'd seen of Vegas on my previous trips told me most of what I needed to know, I figured, and I didn't see the point of belaboring a point that didn't really need to be made: There are a massive number of homeless people in Las Vegas and therefore there would be a massive number of homeless people at the library. True, there are also well-to-do parts of Vegas, working class parts of Vegas...and of course the primary money maker: the Strip. And all outlying hotels, motels, and resorts dedicated to the singular endeavor of conning money out of folks with big dreams. This is also where you can expect to see the highest concentration of famous faces outside of LA and NYC--everything glitters, until it doesn't. And much like San Francisco (again, last time I was there) and NYC (of course), Vegas has a disproportionate number of citizens living on the streets.

I guess I didn't want to write a blog post that was just All About That. It sucks. Kind of like Vegas is always All About The Other Thing. It's tiresome, oversimplifies a multifaceted place, life, and experience, and it is neverending. Ask a Kansan how they feel about Toto, Dorothy, and either being in or not being in Kansas, anymore.


My theory is that if you can stay drunk enough, the smarmy part of Vegas won't bother you. At least stay buzzed, keep your peripherals blurred, and never stop yanking on that greasy slot crank. Though I think it's all buttons now? Seems less satisfying, but whatever. I was never drunk in Las Vegas, and it's not an option now, so I have to see it sober. And getting to the library took me past all the things I knew were probably there but no one wants to see, especially not by the piercing light of day.

Tent City grew up around a vacant lot. People had their tents set up all around the perimeter for the most part (nearest the trees), but many were even set up on or near sidewalks. While there were quite a few tents, there were many people under blankets, and some that were just lying in the dirt with nothing but the clothes on their back and maybe a bag or shopping cart filled with belongings nearby. There were a lot of people there in the mid-morning, some sleeping off whatever they took the night before (or earlier that morning), some with just nowhere else to go. And a few were already on their way to the library, which was just opening as I drove by toward that very same destination.

The Las Vegas Library is just a couple of short blocks from the Tent City and is, as expected, a hotspot for homeless patrons. However, aside from the smell of bug spray and a very poor choice in carpet for the main floor, I have nothing but nice things to say about the library, the staff, and the patrons with which I shared the space, albeit for a very short amount of time.


For one, it is a sophisticated looking library--just look at the pictures and you can see what I mean. It is stylish and it is clear they were going for a very specific, Desert Oasis of Knowledge vibe. The cool grays, warm wood, and white highlights all make for a very bright, inviting space to sit down and learn something. Unlike many businesses in Vegas (especially on the Strip or even just near it), this library was not interested in whoring itself to the Neon Gods of Gambling and Vice. It's shiny, but a sharp, expensive shiny. Not the glitter gloss on a hooker's lips.

See the carpet? It is a light gray, very fine, soft grade,
not at all appropriate for heavy duty public use.
I bet it was beautiful for the first week or so!
Also note those lights...slick, huh?

For two, people minded their damn business. Me, my laptop, and my exer-pants barely registered--people were reading papers or books, fiddling on phones or laptops, and generally just doing their own thing. No glares, no stares, just utilizing the space. And obviously no shenanigans or trifling. The staff was upbeat and busy, attending to the business of the library and helping patrons (including me) with neither an over- or under-solicitous attitude. They were professional, open faced, and refreshing to be around.

God knows how many teeny tiny slivers of individually
cataloged government documents this one drawer
might hold? It may also be a doorway to Hellllll.

I didn't stay long because the bug spray smells were getting to me (my eyes started watering, which is never a good sign), so I packed it up and headed out for brunch (which turned out to be my third and last visit to a Cracker Barrel on this leg of the trip, always to get the same thing: The Multiberry Pankcake Breakfast. It's a special they are running right now and it is so EFFING GOOD you guys, go to Cracker Barrel and Treat Yo Self immediately).

Looks like a sci fi movie set, no? Dune, maybe.

I do wish I could have seen The Las Vegas Library on opening day--it must have been quite a sight. Even so, a good carpet cleaning and some polishing would probably do wonders. And mad, mad respect to the people who kept it classy and refused to put a slot machine in the bathroom. God knows they could have.

No comments:

Post a Comment