Saturday, May 6, 2017

Library 21c, Colorado Springs, Colorado


When the zombie apocalypse happens, this is where we will live. I absolutely adored the Library 21c branch in Colorado Springs--it is peak mallage, so mallesque that you can almost smell the fresh merch, hot off the factory floor. Of course, it really smells like a library with an added tang of coffee since there is a treat shop on the first floor. Otherwise, this place looks custom built to house clothing, candle, and knickknack stores and you would barely recognize it as library, especially on the first floor, where the majority of the space is reserved for kicky, kooky lounge chairs and couches.


I'm not sure that Library 21c is the best name for it since it reminded me so strongly of malls...perhaps Library 1992? As I worked my way around the place I was practically skipping with glee.


I took the elevator up to the second floor because A) I can and B) I will never pass up a glass elevator. The glass elevator seems more appropriate for high rises, but I've only ever ridden in the 2 and 3 story varieties because apparently these sweeping views of endless merchandise must be seen at all times, from all angles, including the 15 second ride between mall floors. See the sweeping view?

Sweeping view

The second floor had many meeting rooms and a bank of chairs against the wall facing Pike's Peak itself. A lot of the shades were pulled so you couldn't really see it very well. There were also old school cubicles set up all around with tall walls that obstructed the views but featured the precious electrical outlets I've come to depend on. There were also these nifty, glassed in work spaces with 4-seat desks hogged up by slouching dudes looking conspiratorial so were likely gaming (and more power to them). I would have snagged one myself, but ended up at one of the cubicles which was also equally fine.


When I started working in publishing I had a proper cubicle with a wall with shelves and a decent sized desk with plenty of storage space. By the time I left, the open plan plague was in full swing, but we'd reached that point through a long, tortured road of smaller cubicles with tiny walls where nothing could be affixed and storage was at a premium. Considering that we were thing makers, we needed space to keep things, but at the end the belief was that we didn't really even need to see the things we were making. We'd just wait for complaints and figure it was all working out at the other end without further review or care.


It was nice to sit in an old school cubicle. As much as they've been reviled over the years (who wouldn't prefer an office, I ask you), a real cubicle kicks the living shit out of open plan any day, any time, any place, world without end amen.

Also, truth be told, now that we are all maybe a bit overeducated in zombie physiology and maintenance, I would imagine Colorado would be a terrible refuge from a mumbling, shuffling zombie army. All those cool temperatures would nicely refrigerate our former friends and family and keep them from spoiling, falling apart, and losing forward motion, brain-hunting abilities. I've given up on The Walking Dead (Glenn was the last straw, but I was already exhausted by the interminable grimness) but eventually all those zombies have to break down to pieces, parts, shivering bones, and dust, right? Anyway, cool climates are probably a bad idea, which means jungle climates (promoting advaned decomposition) are the way to go. Also, and this should be a shock to exactly no one, I'll not be attending the zombie apocalypse. 

I mean, I could stand a mob of shambling horrors chasing me down the street to my ultimate doom...but in the humid heat? UGH, forget it.

I had to flee Library 21c as soon as I realized the weather was about to take a turn for the worse, but it was a delightful cap to the library tour (which is almost, but not quite, over). Next stop: Best/Worst Awards, Things of Note, and Product Recommendations!

Pike's Peak as viewed from the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment