Monday, April 3, 2017

Georgetown to San Antonio, 112 miles + 1 wasabi glob

This may be my last post. In life. I accidentally ate a whole wasabi glob.

Before the fateful moment, I started my trip to San Antonio sort of late. Last night I decided I just wanted to veg in the lap of semi luxury so I decided to stay in Georgetown. I negotiated a rate I could live with at the Best Western Plus and made my way to the room. This guy was waiting by the elevator.


It immediately made me think of Allie Brosh's delightful story of "The Simple Dog Goes on a Joy Ride," where Simple Dog sees a horse statue (No Hoorse Noooo), goes berserkers, and runs wild and far from the scary horse-thing because who wouldn't.

They served breakfast which was awesome. You could have eggs and ham or biscuits and gravy, but I chose the "Make Your Waffle" option and wouldn't you know it: Texas.


Via the map, the drive from Georgetown (north of Austin) to San Antonio seems like you are going from one town to another, with stretches of nothing along the way, but the commerce on either side of the highway never ended, so it really just seemed like one, long city of cheap eats and gas stations, at least until I got to San Antonio proper. I suppose I will see enough open road on the way to my next stop, Big Bend.


I considered visiting the Alamo, but who knew how jam packed and centrally located it was?? From pictures it looks like it's out in the desert somewhere, but that's not the case at all. It is surrounded by restaurants, bars, and hotels, plus all kinds of paid parking, connected by interweaving, circling streets that are sometimes one way and sometimes cut down to one lane with no warning. It was great fun circling, but I decided nah. I took some photos out the window while at stoplights (always at stoplights, never while in motion) and so here I present to you probably the Alamo. I am 98% sure. Through the trees.


After all, isn't the important thing that I remembered the Alamo?

If this is not the Alamo, then I present to you this impressive tree.

On the way to my one library visit in San Antonio, I was starting to get the hunger shakes (it seems hot sugar bread shaped like Texas isn't all that filling), saw a promising sushi place, and turned in. I read some Google reviews before actually committing to the place, but the majority were stellar so I went for it. Things I have to say about Sapporo:

Scene of the crime.
  1. Cute place. Brightly lit. Colorful.
  2. Interesting cut outs along the back wall and next to my table.
  3. I am used to New York portions so ordered way too much. I guess everything is bigger in Texas.
  4. I got the crunchy roll and the spicy tuna roll which equaled one big honkin roll and two still relatively big honkin rolls. 
    Fateful wasabi glob pictured here.
  5. The rice-to-filling ratio was way off. Way too much rice. I ate a lot of it, but ended up picking the bits out of the middle in the end and pushing the leftover rice sleeves to the side. 
  6. The flavor was fine though I did engage the soy sauce this time. 
  7. Sapporo has perhaps the hardest working waiter I have ever seen. He had serious hustle. He had a ton of tables, but was taking care of everything, including busing. He never disappeared, he just kept going, and it didn't seem to bother him whenever the hostess kept loading him up with more tables. 
  8. Finally, in the midst of lunching, I managed to eat a whole wasabi glob. It was hiding under a roll that had fallen apart. I was reading an article on my phone. There was a lack of focus. Then there was a white light and a Robed Man calling me Home.

I am feeling much better as I write this, but lesson learned. Watch the wasabi. Ware the wasabi. It wants you to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment