Saturday, April 1, 2017

Carver Branch Library, Austin, Texas

Because of the Wichita Main Library incident--and others, let's not lay it all on that one incident's feet--I am not comfortable having my back exposed. I like to be up against a wall, preferably with eyes on the main door, so that I can see what's about to happen and be ready for it. This is a symptom of PTSD--war veterans, rape victims, and other survivors of assault and violence (direct or indirect), all report the same desire to control their environments in similar ways. When I had an office, the space was tiny and the obvious place to put the desk was up against the north wall, with my back to the door southeast of where I sat. I said a big fat NOPE to that, asked for a smaller desk, and pivoted that thing in to the right of the door (it just barely fit) so that no one could ever just come up on me and catch me by surprise.

Through the power of sharing our fears and how we cope with them (I'm thinking primarily through the anonymity of Tumblr here, but via Facebook to some degree as well) I've learned to stop apologizing for this "quirk." It is such a relief to realize you are not the only one who does a certain, "odd" thing, that there is a name for it, a reason for it, and that you are not required to explain to Normals why you do the thing. Does it hurt you? No. Then mind your business.

I enjoyed the Yarborough branch not just for it's breadth of space, but because I got a primo spot in the back, with just a row of books on the wall behind me, where only one patron required passage and it was safe and fine. At the Carver Branch, I've decided to sit in the middle and let whatever happens behind me, happen. This is brave because I know people are back there, but also only sort of brave because it is Saturday afternoon, 30 minutes before closing, and there aren't many patrons to begin with.


The Carver Branch is an older library very close to the downtown area of Austin. The parking is a bit odd, since longer term parking is off to the side and there is no obvious way to get to the main doors in the front except across a semi-worn part of the grass. The side of the building has a gorgeous mural called "Voyage to Soulsville" (read more about it here) and the front has a modern art deco feel.


The interior, while decorated in dark mauves, purples, and teals with black stacks, is still bright and airy. Unfortunately, it is obvious that they recently bombed for bugs (an acrid poison smell dominates the space) so it took me awhile to find a seat I wanted to settle into. Hence my back is facing the universe, and I am doing that "You are my lucky star" bit and counting down the minutes before I can blast myself out of the airlock into space...or you know, go to my car. 

But I do love the light in this place, and the swooping ceiling details are lovely. The library staff is packing up and getting ready to close this place down, so I better hustle.


This is a teeny tiny mini library visit because I just had a epic lunch with the previously mentioned CRod who is just as full of sparkling sunshine and sharp wit as ever. We caught up on all the pertinent things and watched a parade of many dogs come and go with their various owners. We also got to see a particularly haughty little grackle swoop to empty tables to steal tortilla chips and any other morsel he could find. 

It's wonderful to reconnect with people when you are feeling more yourself, isn't it? You get to talk to them like a real person instead of a space alien stuffed into an Edgar suit

2 comments:

  1. You were there in spirit. We basically just talked about you, anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete