Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Puyallup Public Library, Puyallup, Washington


For the next two days, I was in a fog of writing. My illness had set me so far back that I needed the time both for catching up and healing up. At night I prepped for the next day, made plans for future travel, and watched The Blue Bloods. During the day I went to the Puyallup Public Library to photo edit, catch up on emails, and write like a highly caffeinated and supernaturally articulate squirrel.

When I first entered the building, I was impressed with the architectural choices they'd made--the bronze highlights and second floor bridge being my favorite aspects of the design. As I ogled the joint, I stopped by the front desk to make sure my venti iced coffee would be okay (it was) and to ask how to pronounce the town's name.

Foyer wall.

Foyer chandelier. 

Say it with me Puyallup. Pew, and in church pew where you sit and learn about Jesus. Allup, as in gallop, the thing that horses do when kicked.

After taking those initial photographs, I was pretty focused on the many tasks at hand, so I remember little about the library itself. It was easy to get to, had gobs of parking, you could eat and drink there, and I sat in the college prep section because all the SAT, GMAT, etc. books were right across from me and would snag my attention every once in awhile when I was lost in thought about some thing or another.

Children's section. 

Obligatory stacks shot.

The patrons were respectful and quiet for the most part, with little yips and yawps here and there, and the children's section was all the way on the other side of the library on an entirely different floor. Brilliant!

One of the things I do remember was the chiming of the clock tower, which is positioned directly above the library. You might imagine that it was a distraction, but I actually found it charming and comforting...and that's only when I noticed it at all. If it did yank me out of the zone, it was for the best, anyway, because I'd remember to stretch and move positions from the clenched gargoyle stance I usually take when typing at the computer.

Bronzed wall.

Bronze wall and bronze plating in the window. 

I'd love to say more about services, but can only tell you that it served my specific needs perfectly. I had a desk to myself, an outlet in the desk, and even a little desk lamp for the parts of the day that got cloudy and rainy. As I've said before, remembering so little of a library really isn't such a bad thing, especially when you feel like you've accomplished something at the end of the day.

Remember that episode in Star Trek The Next Generation...

...I think these things boost the transporter beam.

Bridge from the 2nd floor. I didn't cross it because I don't know why.
Bok bok bok? 

View of the bridge from below.

One more look outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment