Monday, March 20, 2017

Looscan Neighborhood Library, Houston, TX


The Looscan Neighborhood Library is a nice little branch in a lovely part of town, exactly the type of library I was hoping for to kick off my trip. It reminded me a lot of the Anschutz Science Library at the University of Kansas back when I worked there in the early nineties...recently built but showing a little wear and tear around the edges. You can tell it is a well used library.



It is bright, clean, modern, and absolutely frigid. Since the world is apparently descending into the Last Age, where temperatures will rocket year round and we will all slide into the churning lava-lined abyss in the end, it was over 90 degrees in Houston today (March averages are 72/60--I'm already sweating my Big Bend trip...fingers crossed that the weather "normalizes" by then). I have a feeling it's cold in that library more often than not. Which suits me fine as I would prefer to live a refrigerated life (and any poor soul that had to attend a meeting with me knows this pain first hand). The parking was sparse but I got there early enough and there are shade trees all around so that patrons do not have to return to a furnace once library business is concluded.


The librarian was helpful and the other patrons were mostly fine with minimal "sketch"...the insignificant weirdness I witnessed was self contained. He minded his business and I minded mine. As the day wore on, it became clear that the Looscan was a popular library and I was glad I got my sunny spot early. Considering the crowd of people utilizing the space by the time I left, I would consider it an overall quiet environment. I have other libraries to visit in the Houston area, but I will definitely return to this branch after I've made it through the list. I felt safe here and was able to work uninterrupted for almost 5 hours straight. Bonus: Nice view!

No comments:

Post a Comment