Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Vinson Neighborhood Library, Houston, TX


While Vinson was first on my list chronologically, I attempted to go to the library I wanted to see the most in terms of architectural detail (McGovern Stella). And this after a weird morning where I managed to fall up a tiny stair and tried to die (like, full frontal splat on hard tile, they don't call me "Gracie" for nothing) and was blocked in for a while due to a miscommunication re: parking. Remember what I said about being pinned down? Relevant. I nearly cried. Then I got mad for nearly crying. Then I got over it. And double over it once I got in my car car and went vroom vroom all over Houston (first jaunting to the gas station, the Starbucks, then McGovern, and now Vinson).


First impression of Vinson is wide open space because there are few trees around the parking lot or building in general, so the Rogue will be nice and burny when I return to it later this afternoon. It is a lovely structure, obviously recently built, with little alcoves for computer work, meeting spaces, a kids corner, and regular chairs and seats around the perimeter. Normal temperature, so just slightly warm for me (I know). The sign on the door wishes you a blessed day and I'll take it since I'm developing a bruise the size of Texas down my whole shin. The other quirk of this library is the vegetation planted out front, which looks like wild cabbages and lettuces to me but I'm only guessing. It would be kind of genius to have planters full of food since libraries tend to attract indigent patrons. If that was the purpose, would they know to take it? Is it a system or just, go rip out some lettuce?



No sketch, but a woman sitting near me is talking on the phone, trying to fix a problem with what seems to be a committee of mean spirited bureaucrats, each more vexing than the last. I can only feel sympathy since I can type through the chatter, but for a general patron, probably not a plus. Also, no electrical sockets anywhere near so I am going to have to move soon. From what I can gather from her very lough conversation, a leg of lamb was lost, among other things, since there was some sort of electrical malfunction in her apartment. The Internet tells me that is anywhere from $30 to $140 of lost leg--harsh. Get them, loud ma'am, snatch their lives!


Speaking of quirks, the grackles! The grackles like tackles, apparently. They fly super close to cars and I've actually seen their squished little bodies in the road or gutters, feathers akimbo, since this is part of their behavior? I don't know if this is a protective swoop (to guard a nest) or a hungry plunge (since they are ground foragers and great stealers of food) but the more I learn, the more I love them. They are a pest to farmers (stealers of grain!) and as a group are called "plague" or "annoyance" when in large numbers (stealers of sleep!), but they also have black, shiny feathers, with a fancy fringe-y tail and the wide, yellow stare of a crazed killer (stealers of hearts!) so I definitely want to at least pet one. OMG OMG.

Other Houston things:
  1. There are palms everywhere, just in case you forgot you were somewhere near the water. Honestly for me it is incredibly exotic and I love it. But what's even better is the unapologetic diversity of flora all around this city--every place I've been so far has large swaths of space dedicated to trees and bushes, and some of these trees are very old, reaching over the roadways and creating perfect tunnels of black branches and green leaves. And while there are gruesome blocks of strip malls and paved over areas--some quite old and dilapidated as you would find in any big city--so far Houston's charms have far outweighed any negatives.
  2. Speaking of paved things, Houston's network of highways, byways, tollways, everyways are impressive, but they do have one nasty trick that I don't understand: parts of the tollway are EZtag only, No cash. So if you don't have an EZtag and you end up on the tollway because your Google Map Lady knows no better, you are supposed to...what? Get a letter? Pay a huge fine? Die? Since that first night I've made sure to program trips with the express option of avoid all tolls.
  3. Houston also has the sideways traffic lights -- if anyone knows why this is the case, please tell me. My quick search noted that horizontal orientation was also common in Florida and New Mexico and one person noted that it might be because of hurricanes so I guess that might make sense, at least here and in Florida. What does not make sense is the left turn lights. Sometimes they happen before through traffic, sometimes after. I cannot make heads or tails as to why it isn't consistent. Other than to keep drivers on their toes?
  4. As much as I find a whole lot of Houston charming, it freaks me out that it is currently 84 and is going to stay in that range for at least another week. The Weather channel's website says the averages in July and August are 94. If I seriously contemplated living here, it would not be a total write off because of that, but I'd have to make sure to get things exactly as I want them (small place with a solid AC, car with great AC, job in the meat packing plant, refrigeration manager or similar). My friend Jennifer was telling me about this job she had briefly years ago, where she was in this windowless warehouse in a cubicle all by herself tucked far, far away from everyone and honest to God I went full on Green Eyed Monster, like can you imagine? How beautiful? And perfect? She never mentioned if it was cold, but IMAGINE. I'd think the other workers would feel bad for the Sequestered One and would try to bring cookies or a slice of cake from someone's birthday once a week or so which I would so be down for, totally and completely because A) limited social requirements, B) sympathy for nothing whatsoever, and C) cake. This all sounds psycho to a lot of people, but we must all celebrate our diversity and some of us are mole people who bite! And must have space! And privacy! And have figured out what works for them!
And honestly I would be so happy if I never had to supervise employees again for the rest of my life. And I mean real managing, firsthand, where you hire, fire, review, etc. Anyone can do benevolent management, where there's a line of bodies between you and The Employees...I always imagine CEOs have that sort of life...like, they don't sit around trying to figure out work schedules, vacation, FMLA, who's talking about who in the breakroom, etc. They just pass down laws and give speeches. And, of course, make all the big decisions, but honestly after the 2008 financial crisis and all the documentaries we've seen about the snakes running all the big banks and investment firms, how hard can it be? Because they testified under oath that they knew nothing, know nothing, and don't remember anything they never knew or know or would have known. I could rock the shit out of that job.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. You have found your niche. Be a bankster mole on an ice cube in Houston.

    ReplyDelete