Saturday, March 25, 2017

Meyer Neighborhood Library, Houston, Texas

After having a very long, very emotional day visiting the Battleship Texas and the Houston Space Center yesterday--to be explained in more detail at a later date--I wasn't sure what I would be up for on a sunny, overwarm Saturday. I knew I had to do laundry, so went about that chore first, and spent my down time figuring out what to do next. Meyer Neighborhood Library was closest, so once everything was dry, folded, and bagged, I headed over for a quick tour.



Every inch of Meyer was familiar to me--the 60s architecture, the fluorescent lights, even the low hum underscoring the entire mood of the place felt like a memory. Having been built and outfitted in 1962, the library is showing obvious wear and tear from 50+ years of service to its community. Nevertheless, it was impeccably clean, well kept, and clearly cared for by the staff. It is a very small library, and it was full of patrons studying at tables, working or playing on computers, and perusing the stacks. While the dark wood furniture evoked that old-school library charm, it was too hard to make a long go of it writing or reading, so I didn't stay for long.

The best part of the experience by far was watching the staff interact with patrons, both big and bumbling (the guy trying to figure out the copying services) and tiny and wide eyed (the tyke checking out a book from the children's section with the help of his dad). The staff at each branch I've visited in Houston has been helpful, attentive, and professional, but the Meyer staff was even more so. They were kind and warm above and beyond the norm and it struck me particularly in this case because the setting was so aquamarine, 1960s, with vibrating fluorescents, stark, cold, and soulless. The staff's demeanor countered the space--and it wasn't just one staff member, it was all the staff members I witnessed while there.

It reminded me of the library in the grade school I attended in 4th grade, Jefferson Elementary in Wichita. It still stands there looking exactly the same as it did when I went there 30 odd years ago. While I am sure they've updated the interior since those old, Solid Gold days of the early 80s, I recall the library looking quite similar to the Meyer interior...and our librarian, too, was just as warm and kind as the librarians I saw today. Weird, right? I bet you there's something to it, at least in Meyer's case since the community has apparently fought to keep it right where it is. Here's hoping they keep their library and, if fate does turn, whatever replaces the current Meyer library serves the same community and retains the same, magnificent staff.


No comments:

Post a Comment